22’: Luis Suarez Misses a Great Chance
Suarez acquired the ball down the facet considerably dangerously, however Ahmed Fathy, a part of the hard-nosed Egypt protection, battled him off the ball. Then two harmful corners adopted, and Suarez missed an awesome probability going simply vast. Uruguay is popping up the warmth.
14’: Luis Suarez Shoots Wide
A primary probability for the good Luis Suarez, who has 51 objectives in a Uruguay uniform. He went vast, failing to get No. 52, however you’ll anticipate him to proceed to be a hazard to Egypt.
Andrew Keh: For all of the crazed Egyptian and Uruguayan followers right here in Moscow, the environment out right here has been a bit subdued. For starters, the seats alongside the sideline within the decrease bowl appear lower than half full. Then there are the 2 towering momentary stands behind every purpose. Those are principally full, with 12,000 or so courageous souls. But their positioning — actually outdoors the stadium partitions and past the attain of the roof — has made the environment right here really feel a bit disjointed. It’s chilly, too, with temperatures in within the mid 50s. A journalist on the information convention yesterday tried to current a pair of conventional Russian felt boots, referred to as valenki, to Mohamed Salah of Egypt. I wouldn’t thoughts a pair proper now as I sit on this press field.
12’: Egypt Puts Together an Attack
Egypt string a couple of passes collectively, and it ends with Trezguet, the one-named midfielder, getting off a shot. But like Uruguay’s first effort, it’s simply saved.
9’: Edinson Cavani Threatens
Uruguay has been the offensive engine up to now, with Egypt settling again and ready,. And Uruguay acquired the primary shot, a speculative effort from Edinson Cavani from outdoors the field. Saved.
6’: Egypt’s Long Wait Is Over
For Egypt, there was an extended look forward to this second: 28 years to be actual, since a 1-Zero loss to England within the 1990 World Cup. Egypt’s cameos in Cups have included no wins in any respect.
Kickoff: Egypt in Red, Uruguay in White
Egypt is in crimson and Uruguay in white, With Salah restricted to the bench, we might even see a defensive Egypt immediately. Zero-Zero draw anybody? Or will Cavani and Suarez break by for Uruguay?
Mo Salah Will Start Game on Bench
Andrew Keh: Egypt’s coach, Hector Cuper, stated Thursday that it was “100 %” that Salah would play, however he left the choice to the participant. He is on the bench, and the sense is that he’ll get about 30 minutes in its place.
Uruguay is understood for rugged defending, so it is sensible for Egypt and Cuper to take it fastidiously with Salah. Losing a star, as Russia did with Alan Dzagoev yesterday, may very well be a brutal blow to their hopes of advancing.
Egypt’s lineup: 23. Elshenewy, four. Gaber, 6. Hegazi, 7. Fathi, eight. Hamed, 9. Mohsen, 13. Abdelshafi, 17. Elneny, 19. Said, 21. Trezeguet, 22. Warda.
Uruguay’s lineup: 1. Muslera, 2. Giménez, three. Godín, four. Varela, 6. Bentancur, eight. Nandez, 9. Suárez, 10. De Arrascaeta, 15. Vecino, 21. Cavani, 22. Cáceres.
Egypt vs. Uruguay Top Story Lines
• The recreation is in Ekaterinburg, 1,000 miles east of Moscow, the place Europe meets Asia. Perhaps you understand it as Sverdlovsk, its title beneath Soviet rule. The stadium has a rather unique set of stands on both finish.
• Egypt is all concerning the goal-scoring ahead Salah, who had an incredible season for Liverpool, successful the Premier League participant of the 12 months award. He led his workforce to the Champions League ultimate however suffered a shoulder harm in that recreation, and his health is up within the air. For Game 1, he begins on the bench. How a lot and the way properly he performs would be the key elements in whether or not Egypt can advance on the World Cup.
• Uruguay’s largest title is certainly Suarez, who has a knack for soccer, and for making massive information on the World Cup. In 2010, he used his hand to dam a possible game-winning purpose by Ghana, drawing a crimson card and derision from many followers. In 2014, he one-upped himself, truly biting an opponent, drawing a prolonged ban. That didn’t cease Barcelona from signing him shortly afterward.
Could Suarez play the villain once more this 12 months? Or will he stick with scoring a boatload of objectives?
• The different scorer to observe for Uruguay is Edinson Cavani, who was unstoppable for P.S.G. this season. With each Cavani and Suarez 31 years outdated, this Cup would be the finish of an period for Uruguay.
• Egypt received three African championships in a row from 2006 to 2010, however had frustratingly did not qualify for the World Cup since 1990. Now it’s lastly within the massive present.
• The different two groups on this group had conflicting fortunes in Game 1 on Thursday, to say the least. Russia’s big win put it in sturdy place to advance. Saudi Arabia misplaced its already slim probabilities on the unsuitable finish of a 5-Zero shellacking.