In a perfect world, your Android’s apps, their settings, and your system settings would routinely again as much as the cloud in order that in the event you misplaced your cellphone, purchased a brand new one, or put in a new custom ROM, organising a recent gadget with every part in place can be a chunk of cake. The excellent news: This utopian Android backup truly is feasible. Here’s the best way to set it up.
We again up our computer systems religiously, however our telephones are sometimes uncared for. There are tons of conditions in which you’ll wish to have your cellphone backed up. Perhaps you uninstalled an app and deleted its settings, solely to resolve that you really want it again. Perhaps you have picked up a brand new cellphone, otherwise you’ve flashed a new custom ROMand you do not really feel like reinstalling all of your apps and reconfiguring every part from scratch. An app referred to as Titanium Backup saves you from these annoyances and extra, by backing up all of your apps and settings to your SD card (or to the cloud by way of Dropbox) and restoring them worry-free. You may even schedule backups, set them, and overlook them till you want that knowledge again. It’s the most effective apps an Android consumer might have of their toolbox, and in the event you aren’t utilizing it, you actually ought to.
How to Back Up Your Apps and Settings with Titanium
The largest and finest characteristic of Titanium Backup is, clearly backing up your cellphone’s knowledge. What’s very nice about it’s that it is an incremental backup, which means it’ll again up every part the primary time, after which after that, again up solely the apps which have up to date, so you will not have to undergo a protracted backup course of each time. Here’s the best way to formulate your backup plan.
What You’ll Need
- A rooted Android cellphone: Titanium delves into some fairly deep settings of your cellphone, so you are going to root if you wish to use it. For extra info, take a look at our guide to rooting your Android phone, and perhaps look by way of XDA’s device-specific forums to seek out the best technique for rooting your explicit cellphone, as these strategies do change on occasion on numerous telephones.
- Titanium Backup: You can seize Titanium Backup from the Market. There is a free model, however I extremely suggest you decide up a $6 Pro license, too (you will want to put in the free model, then the Pro license from the Market). The Pro model has a ton of options we’ll cowl right here that make it much more helpful than the toned-down lite model. It’s actually a small value to pay, consider me.
- A Dropbox Account (Optional): Titanium Backup goes to make use of your cellphone’s SD card to retailer backups, however it’s a lot, a lot simpler (and safer) in the event you additionally sync it again to your Dropbox account, which Titanium can do routinely for you. That method, in the event you by accident wipe your SD card, your cellphone’s inner storage, or in the event you simply get a brand new cellphone, you do not have to fret about messing with SD playing cards—you may simply obtain your newest backup out of your Dropbox.
Your First Backup
The very first thing we’ll do is run a full backup of all our apps and settings. Once you have downloaded Titanium Backup, simply observe these steps:
- Launch Titanium Backup and faucet “Allow” when it asks you to grant it superuser permissions.
- On the primary display screen, earlier than you do anything, hit the “Problems?” button and hit Get Busybox. This will set up a number of the vital instruments that make Titanium Backup tick. Once that is accomplished, you will get a notification prompting you to restart Titanium Backup. Tap that, and you will be prepared to start out a backup.
- Open Titanium Backup’s preferences (Menu button > Preferences) and test the Auto-sync TB settings field. This will ensure that Titanium saves its settings in your SD card, so if you find yourself wiping your knowledge fully, Titanium will nonetheless have the ability to restore its personal settings.
- Head again to Titanium’s major display screen and hit the Menu button in your cellphone.
Tap the “Batch” choice.
- From right here, you will see all of the batch choices you may carry out—proper now we’ll backup all our apps and system knowledge, proven within the screenshot above. Hit the “Run” button subsequent to the “Backup all consumer apps + system knowledge” entry, after which hit “Run the batch operation”. It’ll take awhile, so simply let it do its factor.
- Congratulations! Your cellphone is backed up and prepared for something that comes its method.
- Optional: If you’ve a Dropbox account, head again into the preferences and test the “Enable Dropbox” button. Then, go to the principle display screen and faucet the “Sync to Dropbox now” button to ship your backups to Dropbox.
Automate Your Backups on a Schedule
After your first backup, you will most likely wish to do issues slightly otherwise. From now on, as a substitute of backing up all of your apps, you may inform Titanium Backup to again up simply those which have up to date or are new. What’s even cooler is which you can automate this course of, so you do not have to recollect to again all of it up your self. To arrange a backup schedule:
- Open Titanium Backup and hit the Schedule tab.
- There must be just a few schedules there already. Enable the “Backup all new apps & newer variations” schedule. If you wish to edit when it runs (by default it’s going to run each Sunday at 3AM), hit the Edit button and tweak it to your liking. Hit Save whenever you’re accomplished.
- Now, to create a scheduled backup of all our settings. Tap the “Add new schedule” button, and hit the Edit button when the brand new schedule pops up within the listing.
- From the highest drop-down menu, select “Backup all system knowledge” and hit Save. Those two schedules must be adequate for just about any knowledge you could wish to again up in your cellphone..
- Note that your backups won’t sync to Dropbox routinely. You’ll have to do that manually by opening Titanium and hitting “Sync to Dropbox” for proper now
You can do much more than that, however these two schedules will preserve you in fine condition for some time. If you retain your cellphone on at night time, run them whenever you’re asleep and you will not even know they’re there.
Set Up Filtered Backups
The backup technique above can take up just a few hundred megabytes of house in your SD card or Dropbox account (relying on what number of apps you’ve put in). If that is greater than you have obtained room for, it can save you slightly house by backing up solely the actually vital stuff as a substitute—say, your browser bookmarks, SMS historical past, or name log—as a substitute of all your settings. To do this, we will make use of filters.
- Open up Titanium, the Menu button and go to Filters.
- Hit the “Create Label” button on the backside of the display screen and name it no matter you need (like “My favourite settings”).
- Next, head again to the Backup/Restore tab and discover the settings you wish to again up. The most helpful ones will probably be listed in inexperienced: issues like Bookmarks, SMS historical past, and name logs, for instance. When you discover one you wish to add to your backup schedule, press and maintain on its entry, and hit the Assign Label button within the menu that comes up.
- Assign it the “My favourite settings” label you simply created
- Repeat steps three and four for all of the settings you wish to again up.
- Once you are accomplished, head again to the Schedules tab and hit the Edit button below your settings backup schedule.
- Under the highest drop-down menu you will see one other one that claims “No filtering”—change this to “My favourite settings” and that schedule will solely again up the settings you completely want, versus all of them.
Restoring Your Apps and Settings
Whether you simply wish to restore an app you uninstalled, otherwise you’ve gotten a completely new cellphone or ROM and are beginning with a clean slate, restoring apps and settings with Titanium is tremendous simple. Before you begin, ensure that the TitaniumBackup folder in your SD card is full—meaning your newest backup knowledge remains to be intact. If not (or in the event you’re on a brand new cellphone), head into Titanium and hit the “Sync to Dropbox” button. This will obtain your Titanium backups again to your SD card (however provided that the TitaniumBackup folder is empty!). Then, simply observe the steps beneath.
Restore a Single App
If you simply wish to restore an app or its knowledge, head into the Backup/Restore tab. Then:
- Tap the listing entry for the app you wish to restore.
- Hit the “Restore” button.
- Pick the choice that describes what you wish to do (e.g., if in case you have the app however simply wish to restore your previous settings, hit “Data solely”) and let it do its factor. You’ll get a notification when it finishes.
- Repeat for another apps or system settings you wish to restore, and go on along with your day!
Doing a Full Restore
Let’s say you flash a brand new ROM to your cellphone, get your palms on a brand new gadget, or in any other case want to revive all your apps and settings. You can simply save your self infinite quantities of reconfiguring with only a few faucets from Titanium’s major display screen.
Note: If you are not utilizing Dropbox and have a cellphone with two SD playing cards, like a Samsung cellphone, an HTC EVO or Incredible, or the Viewsonic G-Tablet, you will wish to ensure that your Titanium backup knowledge is saved on the exterior SD card as a substitute of the interior SD card. This course of is described in Titanium’s FAQ (quantity 14 on the listing). If you are utilizing Dropbox, this should not be an issue, as you will at all times have your newest backup only a click on away.
- Head into the Market and set up Titanium Backup, if it is not already in your cellphone. You’ll additionally wish to Reinstall BusyBox right here.
- On Titanium’s major web page, hit “Sync to Dropbox” in the event you do not have already got your Titanium knowledge in your SD card.
- Hit the Menu button and go to Batch. From there, hit the “Restore all lacking apps + system knowledge” button, and let it restore your knowledge.
- Reboot your cellphone. When you come again, it is best to discover that every part is simply the way you left it in your previous ROM or cellphone. You could should re-apply your previous wallpapers and widgets, nevertheless.
If Your Data Isn’t Restored Correctly
There are just a few circumstances through which Titanium Backup cannot, sadly, restore just a few particular settings to a brand new ROM. If you’ve a cellphone operating the HTC Sense UI, for instance, you very nicely could not have the ability to restore your SMS message historical past whenever you load a non-Sense ROM, or swap to a non-Sense cellphone. The messaging apps are simply fully completely different. You can enhance your possibilities of restoring incompatible knowledge by going to Titanium’s Preferences and checking the “Data Migration” choice earlier than restoring, nevertheless. Additionally, you may exclude something you need from the backup course of by unchecking its listing entry whenever you go to again up your cellphone.
That mentioned, restoring most knowledge ought to work simply nice. Just watch out, and in the event you’re messing with customized ROMs, I might suggest doing full backups by way of ROM Manager or Nandroid apps along with Titanium Backup. The two techniques serve very completely different functions—Titanium helps you to restore particular knowledge to your present cellphone or ROM, whereas Nandroid/ROM Manager make full pictures of your cellphone, restoring it to precisely the way in which it was whenever you final backed up with it—ROM and all. If you are massive of flashing customized ROMs, I would not neglect Nandroid backups.
Other Awesome Things Titanium Backup Can Do
As if all that weren’t cool sufficient, Titanium Backup additionally has a bunch of different actually neat options that make it a must have for Android rooters, like Dropbox integration, crapware removing, and
Remove Pre-Installed Crapware
We’ve briefly mentioned this as soon as earlier than, however it bears repeatin:. one among Android’s largest annoyances (and one of many issues that may actually decelerate your cellphone) is the pre-installed “crapware” that comes with virtually each cellphone—issues just like the Amazon MP3 retailer, the Peep Twitter consumer, or video games like Need for Speed. To take away these apps with Titanium, simply discover them in Titanium’s Backup/Restore tab and faucet on its listing entry. Hit the “Freeze” button to freeze the app. This will not uninstall it fully, however it’ll preserve it from operating or slowing down your cellphone. I normally cease there, since uninstalling sure pre-packaged apps can break your cellphone. If, after freezing it for awhile, you are assured your cellphone will work nice although, you may return to that very same display screen and hit “Remove” to liberate a bit extra space in your cellphone’s laborious drive.
Move Apps to Your SD Card
We’ve mentioned before that shifting some apps to your SD card can pace up your cellphone, and in the event you’re operating Titanium Backup, you do not want an additional app to do that. What’s particularly good is that Titanium Backup will transfer them even when the app does not assist it—which is nice for large apps like video games that you simply actually, actually wish to get off your inner storage. To transfer an app, simply long-press its listing entry within the Backup/Restore tab, then hit “Move to SD Card”. Of course, I solely suggest forcing the transfer with non-essentail apps—you do not wish to break something by chance. If you discover you’ve issues with the app after shifting it, although, you may at all times attempt shifting it again by going to the identical menu—you will then have an choice to maneuver it again to your cellphone.
This will get you began working with Titaniium Backup, however the app has a ton of superior settings and actions in the event you discover that this does not do fairly what you need it to. I undoubtedly suggest testing the Titaniium Backup wiki for extra info on the way it works and all the opposite issues you are able to do with it. And, after all, if in case you have your individual favourite instruments hidden away in Titanium Backup, inform us about them within the feedback beneath.