If you’re a cigar fan, you want a spot to maintain them so that they’ll keep recent and able to smoke. But a pleasant humidor can value you round $100. Here’s how one can construct one your self for lots much less.
I made a decision to convey some cigars again from Cuba. They have been tremendous recent—like, freshly rolled on the farm recent. But they solely allow you to purchase in bulk there, so I wanted a strategy to retailer all of them since I don’t smoke that always. I knew a humidor was the way in which to go—they can preserve cigars for years if properly maintained—however I shortly came upon they are often fairly costly. After doing somewhat Googling and Youtubing, I came across the “tupperdor.” It’s a DIY humidor that works nice and may be made very cheaply (particularly should you already personal some plastic meals storage containers).
What You’ll Need
Building a “tupperdor” is simple. Here’s what you want:
- A transparent, plastic, hermetic container. I’m utilizing this one from Sistema ($10). It has a pleasant pull out tray for the cigars to relaxation on, and it’s the right width for many cigars. But you should use something you will have mendacity round actually.
- Some Spanish cedar. It smells good and it’s what’s used to line most good humidors. Cedar is absorbent and retains moisture from build up an excessive amount of so your cigars keep recent and flavorful. I’m utilizing planks, however you can even use chips, or skewers, or leftover inserts from previous cigar bins.
- A digital humidity monitor. You can discover these for reasonable in your native ironmongery shop or on-line for $10 or much less.
- A humidity controller. Most cigar aficionados advocate Boveda packs (both 69% or 72%). They’re particularly designed to stabilize storage environments for tobacco and preserve the humidity inside 1% of its designated humidity degree. You can order a pack of 10 for $13 online. That will final you a protracted whereas. You may also use these absorbent silicon beads with distilled water.
- Cigars! Get the good things. You deserve it.
All in all, it’s best to be capable to construct your individual customized humidor for lower than $30 (not together with cigars). I forgot to order my humidity controller after I first constructed my tupperdor, so it’s not seen within the photos right here. Don’t make the identical mistake!
How to Put It Together
When you’ve obtained all of your provides, it’s time to assemble your tupperdor:
- Wash out the plastic container to do away with that nasty plastic scent. If you don’t do that, your cigars will tackle that plastic-y scent and taste.
- Cut your cedar plank to measurement, then lay it into the underside of the container. If you’re utilizing another type of cedar, nonetheless put it in first.
- If your container has a tray, insert it.
- Place your digital humidity monitor in your tupperdor with the digital readout dealing with up, or towards any a part of the container you’ll be able to see by way of.
- Add your cigars.
- Adjust humidity as wanted and add your humidity controller. Because I forgot my humidity controller, I needed to improvise. I used to be in a position to improve the humidity inside with a humid paper towel, then took it out when it reached 69%. Unfortunately, this isn’t perfect and I’ll need to babysit my cigars till my Boveda packets arrive.
- Seal up your tupperdor and stash it in a darkish, cool place.
When you’re able to mild up one in all your cigars, simply open ‘er up, take one out and shut the lid once more. That’s all there’s to it! Enjoy.