Buying a used smartphone can prevent some cash, but it surely clearly includes just a few dangers—like ensuring it is in good situation (and that it is not stolen). Here are some suggestions I’ve realized after shopping for many used telephones.
Smartphone makers launch new fashions yearly. Since folks all the time have the itch to improve, you will get a unbelievable deal on a used smartphone so long as you are prepared to forego the leading edge. The “newest and biggest” is not always all it’s cracked up to be anyway.
Still, shopping for a used smartphone means it’s a must to do your due diligince. For one, guarantee is normally out of the query, or it would a minimum of be considerably lowered. Second, it’s good to guarantee every part is working accurately. And lastly, based mostly on these, it’s a must to get the correct value.
Research for the Right Price
The level of shopping for a used smartphone is to get an excellent value, so it’s good to put in some research first. To get the perfect deal, it’s good to see how many individuals are promoting that smartphone proper now and at what value. To do this, seek for the handset on eBay, Craigslist and Swappa. You will come throughout sufficient listings, however there are some things to notice:
- Make positive it is unlocked. Craigslist and eBay have loads of folks promoting locked smartphones, which price rather less than what you’d search for.
- On eBay, examine solely the Buy It Now costs, not the present bids. Bids can inform you how a lot folks could be prepared to pay, however I’ve discovered it a greater approach to go by what sellers search for.
- Don’t word the median value, word the costs of what you might be in search of. Used smartphones are available varied ranges of situation, so it’s good to really click on these hyperlinks and browse the outline to know whether or not the situation meets what you might be in search of. Once you discover such gadgets, word their costs as that is what your reference is, not gadgets that are in higher or worse situation.
- Check the value of what a brand new telephone prices with related specs. If you are shopping for a one-year-old smartphone for a value the place you will get an identical new telephone, the deal is not price it since you lose out on guarantee.
- Make positive all of the equipment are intact. If they are not, discover out what it will price you to purchase every accent and use that as a bargaining chip to scale back the value.
It pays to assume like a smartphone vendor once you need to purchase. Our article on selling a smartphone has a rundown of how one can contemplate issues like product cycles, location, age and situation to determine the value of a tool. The identical issues maintain true for the customer.
Where to Buy
Figuring out the place to purchase the telephone is hard—there are professionals and cons to every possibility, as you may think. Personally, I solely purchase in-person, since I need to examine the telephone—however you may get a a lot better choice shopping for on-line. Here are some suggestions for every.
Try a Social Network
I’ve personally purchased or helped pals purchase over 20 used smartphones at this level and the perfect supply, in my view, is to search out somebody promoting it on a social community. That’s to not say you will not get an amazing deal on Craigslist, eBay or Swappa. But for used smartphones, having some form of hyperlink with that individual helps an amazing deal in establishing belief. And this works each methods. Remember, an excellent vendor needs a clear and truthful transaction too, he would not need you to be sad nor get caught up within the trouble of you making an attempt to reclaim cash.
Buy Online at Swappa
If that does not give you the results you want, then I would go together with Swappa over the others. Why? It has a system in place the place you’ll be able to report somebody for promoting a stolen telephone, a telephone with an altered ESN, a broken display screen, or water harm. In any of these circumstances, you will get your a reimbursement via PayPal. Plus, Swappa additionally verifies every itemizing so there is a decrease likelihood of somebody making an attempt to con you. You can do many issues to ensure you don’t buy a stolen phone, however in case you do, good luck getting your a reimbursement on eBay and Craigslist!
In all circumstances, in case you’re shopping for on-line and might’t meet in individual (see under), be sure you purchase from somebody with a return coverage in place. Not solely does this provide you with room to return it if the telephone is not as described, but it surely is also the mark of an excellent vendor who’s assured of their product.
If Possible, Meet In Person
That stated, in case you had been my pal and asking me for options about shopping for a used telephone, I would strongly advise in opposition to selecting it up on-line and demand on an in-person assembly. For me personally, it is a dealbreaker.
Take it from somebody who has been burnt: you do not need to purchase a used smartphone on-line and have it shipped to you, with out checking it out in individual. Whatever photographs you see, even when the opposite get together is prepared to do a video name, should not a assure of what you might be lastly going to obtain within the mail. There are sufficient scammers on eBay and Craigslist who know simply how one can phrase their merchandise descriptions in order that on paper, they’re within the clear. And as soon as that occurs, eBay and Craigslist will wash their arms off the matter with no likelihood for a refund.
So if you could find a adequate choice on social networks or Craigslist, insist on assembly in individual. Also be sure you meet throughout the day and in a well-lit space. Apart from the protection of the matter, that is additionally necessary because you get to examine the telephone rigorously and totally, so you do not miss out on particulars which may not be as seen in a dimly lit bar.
Negotiating The Deal
Before you really meet the opposite individual, negotiate the value of the telephone based mostly in your analysis and the way the vendor has described the telephone. In normal, cosmetics take a again seat to performance in such negotiations. So “faint scratches on sides” will not cut back your value a lot, however “scratches on display screen” can allow you to negotiate a much bigger value drop.
Also let the individual know that you simply plan to totally examine the telephone first, inserting your SIM, checking the cables, and many others. I’ve discovered this to be the best approach to weed out an trustworthy vendor from somebody who’s making an attempt to drag a quick one. The extra detailed you get concerning the checks you’re going to run, the higher—the scammer normally runs away at this level whereas the trustworthy vendor is okay with every part.
And on the finish of this negotiation, be sure you inform them that that is the value based mostly solely on description, and that it’d change when you really examine the machine. It’s simpler to enact this with an in-person assembly, in fact. This is only a precaution although, do not use it as an excuse to be an ass and cut price simply since you assume you will get a greater value than what you negotiated. No one likes that man.
How To Inspect a Used Smartphone
At the assembly (or once you get the telephone within the mail), it’s good to convey just a few issues with you:
- Your personal charging cable (if you do not have the appropriate one, borrow from a pal)
- A laptop computer
- Your SIM card or a pal’s, which might match into the telephone. Read up what kind of SIM the used telephone wants so you are not caught with microSIM card when the telephone makes use of a nanoSIM.
- A microSD card (if the telephone has a slot for it)
Once the vendor arms you the telephone, it’s best to run a bunch of checks.
- Physically examine the telephone. Watch for harm to the physique, like dents and scratches, in addition to water harm. Be particularly aware of scratches on the telephone and on the digicam lens on the again. Take your time with this, do not rush it. The people at PhoneBuff have a fast video exhibiting the labels on the battery and again panel that it’s good to examine for (proven above). If you might be shopping for a unibody telephone the place the battery cannot be eliminated, the water harm indicator is normally positioned within the SIM card slot. The greatest approach to discover out the place of the indicator in your mannequin is to google it.
- If It Opens, Open It. Any flap, cowl, port that may be opened—like a push-pin slot for SIM or microSD playing cards—must be examined so open it and examine that it is positive.
- Check all of the ports. Pop your individual headphones into the handset and examine if they’re working. Connect the charger cable you bought to your laptop computer and see if it is charging by that port. If it expenses by laptop computer, it’ll cost by wall socket. Then run these checks with the packaged equipment too.
- Pop in your SIM card. Make a name, ship a textual content, and browse to your favourite web site. It’s one of the best ways to examine these components of the telephone are working effectively. If the telephone is locked to a community and your SIM is not from that service, you may discover out instantly with this straightforward take a look at.
- Run the service code take a look at. Each smartphone has a service code that you should use to entry a particular menu to examine whether or not totally different components of the telephone are working. Google it to search out the one on your machine. For instance, typing “*#zero*#” (with out the quotes) on the Samsung Galaxy S3 will start the LCD Test to examine totally different elements like your contact display screen, dimming, speaker, cameras, receiver, vibration, RGB, sensors, and extra. Go via every take a look at to ensure the elements of the telephone are working positive.
The Final Negotiation
If every part has checked out and you might be prepared at hand over your money, attempt one ultimate negotiation tactic. What’s the correct amount to ask for a discount? After efficiently making a cope with a number of used telephone purchases, I imagine I’ve cracked it: negotiate as a lot as the value of shopping for a brand new case.
Since this can be a used telephone, guarantee shall be a problem and it is best to place a case on it that protects the machine for long-term utilization. So the quantity to barter equates to the case you need to placed on it. If the vendor already is throwing in a sturdy case, simply be pleased with the deal.
It’s necessary to not overreach within the ultimate negotiation. You need to go away on an excellent word, so do not ask for the equal of a $80 Lifeproof Nuud case for the iPhone. A superb, truthful transaction leaves each events completely satisfied, and provides you a greater likelihood of contacting that individual after the deal is made, simply in case one thing goes unsuitable.
And bear in mind how I stated it is best to search for offers on social networks? Since the vendor and you’ve got pals in widespread, do not be an ass by being a tricky negotiator. If you are getting a good deal, take it with out making an attempt to search for an edge. In my previous few offers, the results of this straightforward extension of courtesy has been that the vendor has supplied to let me attempt the machine for a few days and with a money-back assure if I wasn’t pleased with the telephone.