Replace your annoying “Did you realize?” factoids with much more annoying “Actually that’s pretend” corrections. Wikipedia options a massive list of common misconceptions about historical past, science, and extra. I test it annually to refresh my smugness.
The finest corrected information embody:
- Twinkies don’t final ceaselessly; they’ve a shelf lifetime of about 45 days.
- An undercover cop is allowed to lie while you ask in the event that they’re a cop.
- The Immaculate Conception is about Mary’s delivery, not Jesus’s, and it’s about unique sin, not a virgin delivery.
- A black belt isn’t all the time the very best rank in a martial artwork.
- The abbreviation “Xmas” was coined by medieval monks.
- The Roman vomitorium wasn’t a room for vomiting; it was a stadium entrance.
- Napoleon was 5’7”, barely above common in 1800s France.
- It’s OK to swim proper after consuming.
- Glass doesn’t truly circulate. Old warped home windows had been made that approach.
- Shaving doesn’t make hair develop again thicker.
- Redheads aren’t going extinct.
Of course, that is nonetheless Wikipedia, so earlier than you depend on a truth for something greater than dialog, click on by way of to the unique supply.
List of Common Misconceptions | Wikipedia